the sword cuts both ways
In a recent discussion with a Christian about fear-loaded religion, I was informed that there are as many reasons to be afraid of giving up atheism as there are for giving up a religion. I thought it would be nice to explore this in a little more detail.
Reasons to be afraid of giving up your religion:
- An invisible deity might condemn you to eternal suffering
- A vengeful deity might make all your ancestors suffer
- An angry deity might command its adherents to kill you
- You may lose most of your social circle
- Your family may cut you off
- You’ll have to trust yourself to make decisions
- You can’t blame creation for any personal behaviour that troubles you
- You have no invisible friend to love and protect you when life is tough
Reasons to be afraid of giving up atheism:
- Your friends might laugh at you
- You might have to follow rules you don’t agree with
I don’t know about you, but I’m not entirely clear how, in terms of potential fear, these two lists balance up.